In 1952 the Deptford Park Athletics Club was set up to promote sport and athletics in Lewisham.
Although the club folded in 1972, the trophies and many of the members remained involved with the Borough of Lewisham. Mr Richard Humphrey, through Flt Lt Godfrey Smith, approached the Squadron with the intention of donating one of the trophies to be used.
We were delighted that he could join us tonight, and tell us a little about the trophy. In keeping with its’ original intention, the Squadron will henceforth present the Deptford Trophy to the Squadron’s best sports cadet – and FS Travis Tomlin, the current holder of that title, accepted it on behalf of the unit.